The following are some examples of successful projects with our industry partners:
Percutaneous-Access-to-Kidney-Assist Device (PAKAD)- Clinical Development for Nephrolithotomy
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy is a minimally-invasive procedure to remove stones from kidney by a small puncture wound through the skin.
It is currently one of the most complicated stone surgery techniques to master due to the challenges of establishing accurate renal access. Inaccurate puncture can cause complications such as injuries to the lungs, intestines or blood vessels with severe consequences.
To be able to access accurately the stone target, it requires a very steady hand, as well as a good mental and hand coordination.
ITE College Central developed a method to help surgeons speed up the process of accurately aligning the needle to the stone target embedded in the kidney. The team, in collaboration with the National University Hospital (NUH) and the National University of Singapore (NUS), created a mechanism called a Percutaneous-Access-to-Kidney-Assist Device (PAKAD) that can reduce X-ray exposure, risks of complications and shorten recovery periods for the patient.
The device eases the surgeon’s decision-making process by providing a mechanical means of guiding and stabilizing the needle to reach the target.
This device was showcased at TechInnovation, an event which convenes technology providers and seekers to explore collaborative opportunities through open innovation.
Improving the Rock Sugar Production Process
ITE College East helped a local company to study the rock sugar production process to determine the possible factors to improve the productivity, and to enhance the yield of rock sugar production. The company managed to improve productivity by at least 20% with this project.
During the studies, 5 areas of improvement were discovered to help improve the yield of production.
1. Rearrange the factory layout.
- The current factory layout was not optimised for a first in, first out (FIFO) approached. The company was recommended to reorganise their factory layout to allow a continuous workflow, improving the operational process of their business.
2. Automate the packaging process
- The team of workers were not only harvesting the yield but were also involved in packing the rock sugar. This process was labour intensive hence an automated packing system was suggested to help increase productivity.
3. Automate the cooking process
- The cycle time to crystallise per batch of solution required 45 minutes. To have an increase of 50% yield would require at least 10.5 hours. Automating the cooking process was suggested to help increase the yield.
4. Conduct detailed Design of Experiment to understand product and process to maximise production yield.
- The production operation was not maximised because there was no detailed understanding of the product and manufacturing process. ITE advised the company to set up a product study group and a laboratory to study and experiment the process prior to production. This helped to reduce the chance of error during production.
5. Design a new pail/farming tank.
- The process of pail handling was laborious and difficult. By redesigning a new farming technique, it helped to reduce labour cost.
FizzSaverTM – Innovative Beverage Can Sealer
Canned carbonated drinks when opened releases the carbon dioxide and the gas is lost in a short time. The drink then loses its refreshing taste.
ITE College East collaborated with an Innovation Design Company to solve this problem, and we came out with a solution that has design and engineering merits.
The device can function as a beverage can opener, beverage can cover, and a beverage can sealer of carbonated drinks.