Copy the URL from the text box below...
Nitec in Western Culinary Arts
Do you enjoy creating delicacies in the kitchen? Are you thrilled when others enjoy your culinary creations?
Join this course and you will be introduced to kitchen practices and be taught to whip up a wide range of stocks, sauces, soups, and accompaniments to side dishes, as well as mouth-watering main courses. You will be trained in a Western kitchen (non-halal) where a wide range of meats (such as poultry, pork, beef, game meat, fish and seafood) and alcoholic items will be used in the cooking lessons.
Apply your knowledge and gain real-life (on-the-job) training at restaurants and hotels.
Acquire knowledge and skills which are highly relevant to the industry
- Store raw, cooked, fresh, dry and canned food.
- Carry out basic butchery work.
- Prepare raw food (mise-en-place) for cooking.
- Prepare stocks and gravies.
- Prepare basic sauces.
- Prepare a range of soups.
- Cook and present a specified range of vegetable, starch and egg dishes.
- Cook and present a specified range of meat, poultry, fish and seafood dishes.
- Prepare and present cold food.
- Prepare a range of sweet and savoury desserts.
- Handle guest enquiries on food-related concerns.
To apply for the Nitec in Western Culinary Arts course, you need to have:
|GCE ‘O’ level grades in any 2 subjects
||1 - 8
|GCE ‘N’ level passes in English Language and
2 other subjects
|A - D or 1 - 5
Note: Applicants applying for this course must undergo pre-course interview and clear a pre-entry medical check-up .This course comprises full-time campus training and company-based training.
This is a two-year course and is available at :
- ITE College West for 1 day per week; and
- Sponsoring companies for On-the-Job Training (ITE will help you find a sponsoring company.)
Nitec in Western Culinary Arts graduates with a GPA of 2.8 and above may also apply for progression to related Higher Nitec courses offered by ITE.
Nitec in Western Culinary Arts graduates with a GPA of 3.0 and above may apply for progression to Technical Diploma in Culinary Arts course conducted by ITE in collaboration Institut Paul Bocuse, France. For more details on the diploma course, please refer to the course webpage.
Nitec in Western Culinary Arts graduates are employed by establishments in restaurants and food and beverage outlets in hotels. Some of the job titles held by graduates include Commis Cook and Chef de Partie.
There are excellent opportunities for career advancement to supervisory positions and beyond. This challenge is for students to upgrade their technical skills and knowledge by taking up higher-level courses.
For general queries on the course, please email Ho_siew_peng@ite.edu.sg or call 6590 2423.