Higher Nitec in Sport Management
ITE College Central
Courage to Pursue Dreams
Damien Tan pioneered the Fencing Co-Curricular Activity (CCA) at ITE College Central. To pursue his interest in the sporting industry after obtaining a Nitec in Aerospace Avionics, Damien bravely made the change from studying Aerospace to Sport Management. The values of perseverance and resilience, which he learnt from fencing, helped him succeed in his studies, placing him in the Director’s List in 2019 and 2020. In Sport Management, he grew to enjoy the dynamism of sports events and is now equipping himself with Event Management skills via a diploma course.
Damien also pushed himself to grow in his leadership and empathetic skills by joining Student Council and ACE Programme, a student talent development programme. Through his four years in ITE, he has grown his skills in various areas – trade, sports and leadership. He is grateful to his ITE lecturers who have shown him concern beyond his academics.
Succeeding at His Own Timing
“Academic grades do not determine your success in life. They do not measure your ability to connect with others or your ability to think outside the box. We do not have to follow societal pressures and expectations, as to when we should achieve different milestones. It is alright to take a longer route. I spent four years in ITE, which meant that I had more time to discover myself and find out what I really wanted to do. There are many ways to succeed and we must develop ourselves in different areas.”
Damien is pursuing a Diploma in Integrated Events & Project Management at Singapore Polytechnic.
- An accomplished fencer, Damien represented ITE in competitions such as the 2018 and 2019 Asian Varsity Fencing Championships where he achieved a top 16 placing both times. He is a part-time coach at SG Academy of Fencing.
- As a member of Student Council, Damien contributed to various community service projects, from planning an anti-drug campaign on campus, organising activities to spread festive cheer to nursing home residents, to facilitating cyber wellness learning for underprivileged children. Damien also penned thank-you messages to healthcare workers during the outbreak of COVID-19.
- For his dedication to community service, exemplary conduct and outstanding academic performance, Damien received the ITE Service Star Gold Award 2020, Edusave Character Award 2020 and Student Excellence Award 2019.
Tan Shi Wei Cody
Higher Nitec in Electronics Engineering
ITE College East
Raising the Bar
When Cody was younger, he often did not do well in school. As a result, many around him cast doubts on his future. This, however, ignited his desire to prove himself and build his own success.
Enrolling in ITE, Cody was determined to start afresh and excel. He participated in numerous competitions to challenge himself and hone his skills. These included the WorldSkills Singapore 2020 competition, where he represented ITE in the field of Electronics. Besides improving himself, Cody is also passionate about making a difference to society. As President of the Student Ambassadors Club, he actively led his peers in various community service projects. He is also working on creating an artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot, which provides emotional support for youths with mental health issues.
Cody’s motivation for self-improvement extends beyond school subjects. Driven by the desire to learn a new skill, he has been working part-time as a barista at Starbucks for three years. Establishing himself in this field, he has even attained the certification of a “Coffee Master”!
Pillars of Support
“I am very thankful to my lecturers at ITE, especially Mr Muhammad Basheer and Mr Teo Hock Wee. They believed in me, cared for me, and supported me in any way they could. There were several times when I felt down or stressed out while preparing for competitions. Mr Basheer and Mr Teo would constantly check on my well-being and give me words of encouragement. Their gestures of care touched me, and gave me the extra push to persevere in the face of challenges. I would not have been able to succeed without them. ”
Cody is pursuing a Diploma in Applied AI and Analytics at Singapore Polytechnic.
- Recognised for his all-round excellence, Cody won the 2021 Lee Kuan Yew Model Student Award. He was in the Director’s List for all terms from 2019 to 2020, and graduated with a perfect Grade Point Average score of 4.0.
- Cody and a classmate developed a smart device for improving washroom cleanliness, which clinched the 2021 Lee Kuan Yew Technology Award. The project also won the Silver Medal at the International Exhibition for Young Inventors 2020 competition.
- He was the first runner-up of the ITE College East Public Speaking Competition in 2019.
Indra Dermawan Bin Yuhanis
Nitec in Retail Services
ITE College West
Leading with the Spirit of Service
Behind Indra Dermawan’s decision to pursue a Nitec in Retail Services is a dream to become a prominent figure in the retail industry. This dream spurred him to achieve ‘Best Customer Service Award’ for delivering excellent service during his internship with Uniqlo Pte Ltd. As the Student Advisor of Retail Club Co-Curricular Activity, Indra’s service-oriented spirit rubbed off on his juniors as he guided and shared techniques in managing stores and sales with them.
Indra also took up other leadership roles, such as the President of Entrepreneurship Club and Vice President of ACE Club, a student talent development programme. Besides being involved in College activities, his passion for the disadvantaged saw him initiating several community service events. In ‘Project SG Strong’, he rallied a team to pack more than 140 Care Packs for distribution to frontline workers in appreciation of their work against the pandemic. He also formed a community organisation - Indspire Youths - with his friends and peers. He led the team to execute the first community outreach project, a charity food drive supporting low-income families in the Taman Jurong constituency.
Indra rose up to the challenge of juggling his studies, a part-time job, heavy co-curricular commitments and volunteering pursuits. He is the epitome of an all-rounder, deserving the praises of his lecturers and support of his peers.
“ITE has shaped me to be a more confident and professional individual. My Section Head constantly encourages me to do my best. Through the support and guidance from my lecturers, I strive to deliver positive outcomes consistently in my assigned tasks. I believe that if you have a positive mindset, you can overcome any challenge you face.”
Indra is pursuing a Diploma in Tourism and Resort Management at Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
- Indra received several accolades, such as the Lee Kuan Yew Model Student Award 2021, Top Student Award 2021, 4PM Bestari Student Award 2020 - Academic Excellence Award, ITE Edusave Character Award 2019/2020 and Service Star (Gold & Diamond) Awards 2019/2020.
- He performed well academically, attaining the HYC-PSA Scholarship 2019 and Keppel Award Scholarship 2020. He was on Director’s List in 2019 and 2020, and graduated with a perfect Grade Point Average of 4.0.
- During ITE Fiesta, he led his team in Retail Club to achieve the highest daily sales of more than $2,000 for Choc Spot, a retail candy store at ITE College West.