Damien Loo Yi Heng
Nitec in Electronics, Computer Networking & Communications
ITE College Central
Nurturing Dreams, Cultivating Success
Damien has two areas of interest – aquaculture and hydroponics. These shaped his dream of setting up his own aquaponics farm, where fish and plants are grown together.
Damien enrolled in ITE’s Nitec in Electronics, Computer Networking and Communications course, as he believed it would equip him with relevant skills to implement useful technologies for his future farming business. His interest in plants led him to join ITE College Central’s Greenery Club, where he rose to become its Vice President.
Motivated by a desire to constantly improve himself and realise his dream, Damien excelled in his studies at ITE. He also actively participated in numerous competitions and leadership programmes to better himself.
“When I entered ITE, I had the goal of achieving my potential. I am thankful to ITE for helping me to realise this goal. My lecturers gave me many opportunities to participate in various competitions and professional development programmes. I grew and learned a lot from these experiences. They helped to boost my confidence and hone my presentation skills, which are very important for professional success. I never had such opportunities before joining ITE.”
Damien is pursuing a Diploma in Landscape Design & Horticulture at Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
- Recognised for his all-round excellence, Damien won the 2022 Lee Kuan Yew Model Student Award. He graduated with a perfect Grade Point Average of 4.0 and was in the Director’s List for all terms from 2020 to 2021.
- Damien led his classmates to clinch the Diamond Award in the 2021 Community in Bloom Awards, a competition by the National Parks Board which recognises excellence in gardening efforts by community groups.
Tan Yuan Tian
Nitec in Mechanical Technology
ITE College East
Engineered for Solutions
An engineer at heart and by training, Yuan Tian considers himself fortunate to have the opportunity to be involved in projects beyond his scope of studies. The exposure to the various competitions and projects made Yuan Tian step out of his comfort zone as he had to learn to interact with people from diverse backgrounds, such as meeting stroke patients to understand their needs and from there, solve problems and create solutions for them.
These ‘extra-curricular activities’ also helped him hone his business skills. While participating in ITE Makerfest Challenge 2021, Yuan Tian had to learn and apply entrepreneurship skills such as budgeting, marketing, sales and more – areas which are unfamiliar for an engineering student like him. These experiences made Yuan Tian’s ITE journey a fulfilling and enriching one as it gave him a better understanding of what he could achieve by applying the skills that he had learnt to solve real problems – something which he is very proud of.
Skilled to Help
“When I first joined ITE, I didn’t expect that I would be able to apply my engineering skills to solve real problems for others. I’m very glad to have the opportunities to be involved in various projects and competitions. They really opened my eyes and motivated me to aim higher in my studies and beyond. I would like to thank my class advisor, Mr Chua Zhong Yang, for his unwavering support and guidance which gave me confidence and helped me mature both academically and holistically.”
Yuan Tian is currently pursuing a Diploma in Industrial & Product Design at Temasek Polytechnic.
- Yuan Tian received several accolades for displaying skills mastery in his projects, such as the Lee Kuan Yew Technology Award 2021, Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors’ Award 2021 and top prize in the ITE Makerfest Enterprise Challenge 2021.
- He was in the Director’s List for all terms from 2020 to 2021, and graduated top of his engineering cohort in 2021 with a perfect Grade Point Average of 4.0.
- Aside from his academic achievements, Yuan Tian finds time to engage in community work and has participated in the Very Special Arts Singapore programme where he designed and produced tote bags and cards for special needs students.
Muhammad Ezekeyle Ezra Olbrich Bin Wilfred John Olbrich
Nitec in Mechatronics & Robotics
ITE College West
Living for Others
If there was a word to describe Muhammad Ezekeyle Ezra Olbrich Bin Wilfred John Olbrich, it is probably 'selfless'. In 2019, he saved a family from a fire in their home and received the SCDF’s Community First Responder Award. He works part-time to support himself and still achieved a perfect Grade Point Average of 4.0. His quick thinking, tenacity and desire to help others set him apart from his peers. This is despite his immensely challenging beginnings.
Ezekeyle and his older brother grew up with their grandparents after his parents’ divorce. To help with the family finances, he has been working part-time since he was in secondary school. In the day, he gives his all in school; come evening, Ezekeyle puts in five to six hours every weekday as a food delivery rider. On top of that, he is actively involved in campus and community activities, putting in time as a student mentor, ACE Achiever Club member, and Class Vice-Chairman. Truly, Ezekeyle is an inspiration to all!
Giving his All
“I want to do what I can to help people. I excel for the sake of others. My desire is to be a source of motivation for my family and friends, by living as a good role model. There is no room to give up. If I give up, who is going to care for my family?”
Ezekeyle is currently pursuing a Higher Nitec in Mechatronics Engineering course at ITE despite qualifying for polytechnic admission. He believes the hands-on learning style in ITE will help him build a strong engineering foundation. He plans to be an engineer specialising in robotics in the future.
- Ezekeyle was awarded the SCDF Community First Responder Award in 2019 for rescuing a neighbour from an e-bike fire in their home.
- He has also received several other awards, such as the 4PM BESTARI Award (2021), Keppel Care Foundation Merit Award (2020 and 2021), National Youth Achievement Award Bronze (2019), Edusave Character and Merit Awards (2020 and 2021), and was on the Directors’ List for all semesters. For his excellent performance, Ezekeyle was awarded the Tay Eng Soon Gold Medal Award at the ITE Graduation Ceremony 2022.