Dr Maliki Osman, Second Minister for Education
Mr Andrew Chong, Chairman, ITE
Mr Robert Chong, Group Chief Corporate and Human Resource Officer, Sembcorp Industries
Mr Koh Chiap Khiong, Chief Executive Officer, Singapore and Southeast Asia, Sembcorp Industries
Industry Partners from Sembcorp
ITE colleagues and students
Ladies and Gentlemen
- Today is a significant day. At the MOU signing with Sembcorp Industries last year on 26 Oct, we expressed our collective intent to set up a dedicated ITE-Sembcorp Centre for Sustainable Solutions that is equipped with the latest technologies so that ITE students could learn through hands-on experience with the floating solar (floating photovoltaic) installation as well as data monitoring system for predictive maintenance and planning. Six months later, this Centre is ready and we are very pleased to witness the opening of the ITE-Sembcorp Centre for Sustainable Solutions here at College East.
- Sembcorp Industries is very generous. When we informed them that both ITE College East and College West run the Nitec in Electrical Technology and Higher Nitec in Electrical Engineering courses, they readily offered to provide a parallel set of equipment that you see here, at College West.
- Each year, 460 ITE students will get to use these solar energy technologies and systems during their training. My staff and I are very excited by these new learning opportunities as they would lead our ITE students and graduates to ‘green-collar’ jobs in the solar energy sector as well as the emerging jobs that Singapore’s Green Plan 2030 creates.
- On behalf of ITE, I thank Sembcorp for the strong partnership we have with you. Not only do our students benefit in terms of authentic state-of-the-art training equipment, our staff are also kept abreast of the new jobs, skills and demands.
- Together, we will develop the new generation of ‘green’ workforce.