Mr Oliver Fixson
Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Singapore
Ms Low Khah Gek
ITE Colleagues and students
Ladies and Gentlemen
- Good morning and welcome to ITE’s 11th Technical Engineer Diploma (TED) in Machine Technology Project Fair. The TED programme was launched in 2008 to develop skilled technologists to work in the Precision Engineering industry, which
is core to the manufacturing sector.
- ITE has a long-standing partnership with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, Baden-Württemberg, Germany and Gottlieb-Daimler-Schule (GDS) 1. Our strong collaboration over the last 11 years has ensured high professional competencies among
staff and industry relevance of the TED curriculum. To date, TED has produced about 363 graduates who are work ready and world ready.
- To prepare our TED students for this next wave of advanced digital manufacturing revolution, GDS1 and ITE have progressively incorporated knowledge in Industries 4.0 content into the curriculum. Our students now get exposed to new manufacturing technologies
such as advanced robotics, additive manufacturing, advanced materials, sensors, lasers & optics. This has provided a good foundation to our graduates who work in companies undergoing digital transformation.
Collaborations with Industry, SIAA and SPETA
- While uncertainties in the global economy remain, technological advancement has created new opportunities for the manufacturing sector. The convergence of smart and sophisticated technologies such as automation, digitalisation and artificial intelligence
has produced seismic changes to the manufacturing landscape.
- To support Singapore industries in their transformation, ITE, Singapore Industry Automation Association and Singapore Precision Engineering & Technology Association have collaborated to put together the “Digital and Advanced Manufacturing Programme” for Industry 4.0, an initiative launched last December, to help companies innovate and transform through the use of living labs and technician training.
Under this initiative, ITE will work with commercial System Integrators to pool together technical solutions and relevant training to help address the common technological challenges faced by companies. It is heartening to note that we have received
strong support from industry to come on board for this programme.
- As a follow-up to this initiative, later in today’s programme, we have organised a sharing on Digital and Advanced Manufacturing by Siemens Pte Ltd and Univac Precision Engineering Pte Ltd.
Successful TED Graduates
- While ITE strives to prepare students for the future, this future is always changing and there will be new skills that our students need after they have graduated and joined the workforce. Hence, integral in all our programmes, especially our TED
programme, is preparing students to be life-long learners and enhancing their career continually.ITE also runs numerous Continuing Education courses to support working adults in this upgrading effort.
- Saravana Kanan graduated from Nitec in Aerospace Machining Technology in 2011 and joined the TED programme and graduated in 2013. In 2016, he joined ST Engineering Aerospace Ltd, a company that deals with Aircraft Interiors, Pilot
training, Smart and Military Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO), Freight Conversions and Unmanned aerial solutions.
- As an Executive in Sourcing & Supplier Management, Saravana assesses, develops & manages current and potential suppliers to support the operation of Airbus A320/A321/A330 and Boeing 757 Passenger to Freighter (P2F) conversion projects.
- Mr Lim Chet Wee, Director, Sourcing & Supplier Management, has applauded that, “As a Supplier & Sourcing Executive, Sara plays an important role in the department. He excels in developing sourcing project scope, operational and commercial requirements, perform sourcing, selection & order management of the suppliers, to ensure on-time delivery.”
- Well done, Saravana!
- Let me share another example of a successful TED graduate,
Delvinic Chiang Yi Xiang graduated from Nitec in Medical Manufacturing Technology in 2012 and later joined
the TED programme and graduated in 2015. In 2017, Delvinic joined Process Innovation Technology SE Asia Pte Ltd, a company that deals with die-cutting, fabricating and converting of plastic and Rubber polymeric products for the Electronics and
- As an Assistant Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer in their Quality Department, Delvinic’s work scope includes preparation of First Article Inspection report submission to customer and monitoring of supplier/vendor quality performance. He is also
a key member in supporting the company’s compliance to ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 in areas such as Internal Audit, Supplier Audit and document control.
- Mr Chong Kok Swen, Engineering Manager, has complimented that “Delvinic has shown confidence and takes initiative in his designated role very well in the company. He picks up the on –the- job skills fairly quickly and we would like to attribute them to the confidence and skills-sets that he has gained during his studies at TED.”
- I am pleased to note that Delvinic has recommended a final-year project for his company that is being showcased today.Congratulations, Delvinic!
- In closing, I would like to thank Mr Oliver Fixson for gracing TED Project Fair 2020 and Digital & Advanced Manufacturing Seminar.
- The TED programme has indeed come a long way since its inception in 2008 and it continues to grow from strength to strength, leveraging on the commitment for relevance and excellence in both GDS and ITE, as well as strong support from industry.We
will continue to innovate, change and grow in order to ensure that our TED graduates always add value to the industry. My sincere thanks to all industry partners who have offered authentic learning opportunities to our students through final-year
- My congratulations to the graduating TED students on the successful completion of your final-year projects. As Precision Engineering remains a key pillar in Singapore’s manufacturing sector, I am confident that you will have fulfilling careers
in the years ahead.
- I wish everyone an enjoyable and fruitful day at our TED Project Fair 2020 and Digital & Advanced Manufacturing seminar.