Higher Nitec in Applied Food Science (wef Apr 2024 intake)
Course Details Anchor Navigation
Campus where course is offered
ITE College East
Course CertificationHigher Nitec
Have you wondered how new food is created, tested, manufactured, packed and finally served on your plate?
Well, you can discover and experience the answer in this course! You will learn how new food is developed, analysed, processed, packaged and served, while adhering to strict regulatory requirements in the food industry.
What you'll learn
- Maintain occupational health and safety at workplace
- Perform basic measurements and calibration techniques in the laboratory
- Conduct physical and chemical checks / tests
- Perform microbial analysis
- Maintain safety, hygiene and quality standards in food industries
- Conduct laboratory test / analysis for test samples
- Operate and maintain food processing equipment
- Apply advanced food preservation and processing methods / technologies
- Maintain nutritional quality of food products
- Carry out food product design, development and marketing
GCE 'O' level passes in English Language, Mathematics and 1 approved subject:
- Grade 1-8 in English Language
- Grade 1-7 in Mathematics (Elementary or Additional)
- Grade 1-8 in an approved subject: [Biology / Biotechnology / Chemistry / Combined Science / Human & Social Biology / Integrated Science / Physics / Engineering Science / Science (Chemistry, Biology) / Science (Physics, Biology) / Science (Physics,
Chemistry) / Physical Science / Science (Physics, Biology, Chemistry)]
For more details on minimum entry requirements for Nitec graduates, please click here.
- Applicants for this course must ensure that they are free from colour appreciation deficiency.
- Students will be required to purchase a Laptop for the course. This is in addition to the course fees. Financial assistance is available to eligible students under ITE Opportunity
Fund subject to terms and conditions. For more details on the minimum laptop specifications, please click here.
Higher Nitec in Applied Food Science graduates may apply for progression to the following Work-Study Diploma courses at ITE:
Higher Nitec in Applied Food Science graduates with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and above may apply for progression to the first year of a related diploma course at the Polytechnics. For more details on diploma courses for progression, please refer to the Joint Polytechnic Admissions website.
Higher Nitec in Applied Food Science graduates are employed by companies in food manufacturing and food and beverage (F&B) sectors where they could contribute significantly in ensuring resilient, safe and quality food supply for consumers. Some of the job titles held by graduates include Food Technician, Food Production Technician and Food Processing Technician.