Higher Nitec in Biotechnology
Course Details Anchor Navigation
Campus where course is offered
ITE College East
Course CertificationHigher Nitec
Have you ever imagined what is happening inside a living organism? Let us bring you into the life of a living microorganism.
In this course, you will learn to perform biochemical and microbial tests, as well as to identify and culture micro-organisms. You will also learn advanced topics such as molecular biology where you will handle the blue-print of life, DNA.
Certification Requirements, Course Structure and Module Objectives (PDF 59 KB)
General Electives and Life Skills Modules (PDF 66 KB)
What you'll learn
- Perform laboratory housekeeping activities such as handling and storage of chemicals and biological materials, and disposing of chemical and biohazardous waste in a safe manner
- Perform pre-testing activities such as cleaning of laboratory apparatus and glassware, interpret data sheets and verification of equipment suitability
- Prepare reagents/solutions for products and processes following standardised formulas
- Perform analysis of test samples using various techniques such as volumetric titration and gravimetric extraction
- Perform biochemical and microbial tests, identification of growth conditions of microorganism, enumeration and maintenance of microbes/microbial culture
- Compile and compute data, interpret test results and analyses and generate analysis report
- Perform calibration of test equipment and troubleshooting of minor laboratory equipment breakdown
- Maintain proper records of standards, test procedures and laboratory equipment usage
- Perform qualitative and quantitative testing of biological compounds and biomolecule analytical tests
GCE 'O' level passes in English Language, Mathematics and 1 approved subject:
- Grade 1-8 in English Language
- Grade 1-7 in Mathematics (Elementary or Additional)
- Grade 1-8 in an approved subject: [Biology / Biotechnology / Chemistry / Combined Science / Human & Social Biology / Integrated Science / Physics / Engineering Science / Science (Chemistry, Biology) / Science (Physics, Biology) / Science (Physics,
Chemistry) / Physical Science / Science (Physics, Biology, Chemistry)]
For more details on minimum entry requirements for Nitec graduates, please click here.
Students will be required to purchase a Laptop for the course. This is in addition to the course fees. Financial assistance is available to eligible students under ITE Opportunity Fund subject to terms and conditions. For more details on the minimum laptop specifications, please click here.
Occupation Traits and Functional Ability Requirements
| Nature of Work
|Biotech Laboratory Technicians carry out routine laboratory tests and perform technical support functions requiring the application of established or prescribed procedures and techniques to assist scientist and researchers in research,
development, analysis and testing activities.
|They carry out pre-testing activities such as cleaning laboratory apparatus and glassware, interpreting data sheets and verifying equipment suitability.
||finger dexterity, attentive, sensory (visual) ability
|They prepare reagents / solutions / media for processes following standardized formulas, perform biochemical and microbial tests and identify growth patterns of microorganisms. They perform qualitative and quantitative testing of biological
compounds, compile and compute data and generate reports.
||finger dexterity, physical mobility, attentive sensory (visual ability)
|They are also required to perform calibration of test equipment and troubleshoot minor laboratory equipment breakdown.
||dealing with non-routine schedule
This course is less suitable for students who do not possess the functional abilities indicated. If in doubt, please consult your school career guidance officer or visit ITE College East for further academic advising.
Higher Nitec in Biotechnology graduates may apply for progression to the following Work-Study Diploma courses at ITE:
Higher Nitec in Biotechnology graduates with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and above may apply for progression to the first year of a related diploma course at the Polytechnics. For more details on diploma courses for progression, please refer to the Joint Polytechnic Admissions website.
Higher Nitec in Biotechnology graduates are well-suited for employment in a research and development department or quality control laboratory in the biopharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical, food, healthcare services and urban farming sectors. Their roles include performing a wide range of laboratory procedures and technical functions to support researchers or analysts. Some of the job titles held by graduates include Laboratory Technician and Laboratory Assistant.